Wednesday, January 17, 2007

HI everyone and happy January. I am doing really well these days. I have been out walking almost every day up to 5 miles (in two outings). I have my energy back and am now ready for chemo. Monday I talked with my Oncologist and he wants me to take Folfox 4 with Avastin for the next 6 months every two weeks. It will be administered over 3 days, the first day for 5 hours, the next day for 3, and the third day just for about an hour or so to remove the bed buddy pack. Yes, I will have my bed buddy back for two nights every two weeks. I can't say I've missed her but we'll get reaquainted. The folfox treatment is a mixture of 3 different drugs. 5-FU (what I previously had in the pack), leucovorin (folinic acid)and oxaliplatin. This is standard treatment for stage III cancer. Avastin is a drug that is currently used and approved for stage IV cancer but not stage III. Which means, my insurance will not cover it and we will have to pay for it. It is quite expensice but my doctor feels it may have good results. It's used by cutting of the blood supply to the tumor. Since I no longer have a tumor, we are not sure if it will help or not, but I have talk to a few different doctors and they agree with the use. It's been a hard decision but we are going to go for it. The doctors hope is it will give better odds that the cancer will not return at a future date. So Monday I go in for a "teach" class about the drugs. Tuesday I will start my first treatment. Please keep me in your prayers that all goes well.
Hebrews 10:23,24
Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful: and let us consider how to stimulate one another to love and good deeds.

1 comment:

Mommy bird said...

Hi Jill, I haven't posted to your blog but I try to check in to see how you are doing...You are an inspiration to us all. A picture of how God works in a life. Hope to see you back at work before long! Brenda W