Sunday, January 07, 2007


Happy New year!! I am feeling really good after a week of recuperation. I'm up to walking again and feeling my energy increase each day thanks to all the wonderful people who have been bringing in great dinners!!! My appetite is back in full force!! The picture is of my very special "healing Hands" blanket from my Foothill Family. It keeps me warm and loved every minute!
The first few days home were a little rough for me having to get used to a new addition to my body...an ileostomy. It's an "off ramp", as Casey calls it, between my small and large intestines. I will have it through chemo and until my colon heals completely. I was supposed to have a home health nurse come three days a week starting right away to help me out, but as I was leaving the hospital, the nurse informed me that they couldn't find anyone to come to my home. To say the least, I was upset, scared, and had a million questions on how to care for this new thing. But once again, God provided. My neighbor came over and offered her help. She is a retired nurse who used to work with patients and ostomys. She even drove me up to John Muir the next day for a visit with the ostomy nurse. I am feeling much more at ease now and am learning to adjust. As for the next round of treatment, I should be starting chemo in about 3 more weeks. I do have a second opinion appointment at UCSF for chemo on the 29th of January. Since there were so many lymph nodes involved, they want to go heavy on the drugs and wipe any hidden cells. I say go for it!. I have always said that God gives you only what you can handle. Now I realize that when there is more than you can handle, He comes along and helps carry part of the load. He also helps you find your way. A dear friend told me that when He brings you to your knees it's only because He wants you to see His path more clearly. I know that as I go through this next phase of treatment, God will be right there with me. I won't be carrying it alone. I pray if one of you go through trials or tribulations, you remember that God is with you and He will help you each and every step if you let Him.
Jeremiah 29:11-12
For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope. Then you will call upon Me and come and pray to Me, and I will listen to you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jill--You are an inspiration! God is truly with you!
JoAnn :)